A Quick Guide To Hungary Schengen Visa Application
The Hungarian Embassy and Consulates maintain strict eligibility criteria - only issuing visas to people who meet the following conditions: a valid residence permit in the United States such as Green Card or US Visa; Only those whose main destination is Hungary are allowed to receive a Hungarian visa.
What Does The Hungary Schengen Visa Application Entail?
Hungary Schengen Visa application has to be filled online and takes around 50 minutes to finish. The application has five sections:
- Personal Details
Section 1 - Personal Details
Provide basic information such as your name and passport details. A national identity number is the same as your passport number since the United States does not have a standard national identity system (do not put your SSN here).
Check - Residence in a country other than the country of current nationality
The Residence permit number is the unique number associated with your Green Card / H1B/ F1/ J1 visas.
A few things to keep in mind.
- The travel document (passport) must have been issued within the past 10 years.
- The travel document must be valid for at least six months from your departure date.
- The travel document must have at least 2 blank pages.
Section 2 - Journey
Hungary requires information on your intended travel dates. Usually, your visa is issued for +/- 10 days around your intended dates.
There's no downside to asking for a multiple entry visa. Your visa decision won't be affected in any way. If you're lucky and can show a past travel history of frequent travels to Europe and good travel insurance, you may get a multiple entry Schengen visa valid for 1 year.
Section 3 - Previous Schengen Visas
If you don't remember the date when you last got fingerprints, just select 'Yes' as long as you got a Schengen visa after 2016. This lets Hungary retrieve your biometrics from a central database maintained by the European Union (EU).
You can find your visa sticker number on the Schengen visa stamp.
The visa number is the 3-letter country code (issuing country), followed by a 9-digit number. Therefore, in the example above, the visa number is FRA005702202.
Section 4 - Accommodation
You also need to provide proof of accommodation and contact information of your Hotel/Airbnb.
Section 5 - Funding
You’ve to present evidence to prove that you can support your stay in Hungary. You can select the option that works best for you, which has a balance equivalent to EUR 50 for every day.
After completing the application, make sure to sign it. You do not have to affix your photo on the application.
Hungary Visa Photos
The photo requirements for a Hungary Schengen visa follow ICAO standards.
- 1 recent photo.
- Photo size: US standard size.
- In color. No black and white
- Head should cover most of the photo.
- White background.
Proof of Employment for Hungary Visa
A letter from your employer is required as proof of employment. The letter should state:
- Date of the letter
- Employer name
- Position and title
- A declaration that you will continue to be employed during your Hungary visit
- Contact and address information of the supervisor along with their signature.
This is a letter from the university for students, or from your academic advisor or from the Office of International Education. Please provide a letter of support from any individual/organization that is financing your livelihood for homemakers or those unemployed. This includes but is not limited to your spouse or parents. Use the tool above to generate one!
Hungary Visa Travel Insurance
As per the EU directive, a travel insurance is required to apply for a Schengen visa. The insurance should explicitly meet these requirements:
- Coverage of at least EUR 30,000.
- Be valid in all 26 Schengen States: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland.
- Cover medical emergency expenses and anything connected with repatriation for medical reasons, urgent health attention, and/or emergency hospital treatment or death.
- For those hoping to get a longer-term Schengen visa, it is advisable to provide travel insurance that lasts the whole year as per the EU directive:
“ Applicants for a uniform visa for more than two entries (multiple entries) shall prove that they are in possession of adequate and valid travel medical insurance covering the period of their first intended visit.In addition, such applicants shall sign the statement, set out in the application form, declaring that they are aware of the need to be in possession of travel medical insurance for subsequent stays.”
Traveling to Hungary with Children
Children require a visa to visit Hungary if they're not US citizens. Things to keep in mind:
- A separate appointment has to be booked for children.
- One color photo. The visa photo requirements for children vary slightly.
Children aged five and under do not need to have a neutral expression or look directly at the camera, and their heads do not have to be centered in the photo. Babies under one year do not have to have their eyes open.
- Application form signed by both parents
- Birth certificate of the child
- Proof of parent's regular income (work contract with specified monthly income or a bank statement or business license)
- A notarized parental authorization signed by both parents if the child is traveling alone.
- Copy of IDs of both parents.
- Return tickets for the child.
- A reference letter from the relevant school addressed to the Hungarian Embassy indicating the child can skip classes during their time in Hungary.