Germany, part of the Schengen Area, is known for its forests, mountain ranges, North Sea Beaches, Christmas Markets, and of course, world-famous festivals such as Oktoberfest and Berlinale.
However, to visit this amazing travel destination, as an Indian passport holder, you must obtain a Germany tourist visa from India.
Hence, I created this blog to discuss everything you need to know about the German and without wasting any time, let's get started:
Do I Need A Germany Schengen Visa?
Yes. As an Indian, you require a Germany tourist visa or a Schengen visa for Indians to visit the country for tourism purposes or to visit friends and family in Germany.
Indians can apply for a visa that allows them to stay in the country for a maximum of 90 days.
However, the visa application can get a bit complicated so I suggest the sooner you apply for your visa, the better.
But worry not, in this blog, I will tell you everything you need to know about getting a Germany visa from India.
How To Get A Germany Schengen Visa Without Effort?
Now, if you are someone who values your time and energy, we've got some great news for you!
You don't need to read through this entire guide on getting a German Schengen Visa. Instead, all you need to do is download Atlys and use it to complete your application for you.
With Atlys, you can immediately start your next German Tourist Visa application.
A benefit of Atlys is that you don't need to stress about the Germany visa For Indians application process and everything it entails.
All you need to do is select a destination and travel date and enter your relevant details. Afterward, Atlys will do all the tedious paperwork for you. With Atlys, you can receive your next Tourist Visa in no time!
General Information About The Germany Visa From India
Before jumping into the requirements and visa application for a tourist visa for Germany from India, let us address some of the most popular queries.
If you already have a general understanding of the German visa, feel free to skip to the required documents or the visa application process.
You will find the following Germany visa information in this section:
What Is The Germany Schengen Visa?
The Germany Schengen Visa, also known as the Tourist Visa, allows you to enter Germany and the Schengen countries for tourism purposes. Such purposes include vacation, site seeing, leisure, and so on.
Short business trips are also allowed under the Germany tourist Visa from India. However, you can't work in the country. Acceptable business purposes include attending meetings, functions, meeting clients, etc.
If your trip to Germany does not include tourism or business, you need to apply for another type of visa.
Also, depending on your purpose of visit, you can choose between a short-stay visa (single, double, and multiple entry), an airport transit visa, and a long-term visa (1 year, 3 years, and 5 years).
So, if you want to travel to Germany for a short term which is up to 90 days for a visit, as a tourist, on business, or for medical treatment, you will need a Schengen visa.
Is The Germany Tourist Visa And Schengen Tourist Visa The Same?
Yes. The Schengen Visa and Germany Tourist Visa for Indians are exactly the same.
Some travelers refer to the Germany Schengen Visa as the Germany Tourist Visa or a short-stay visa.
All these terms refer to the same German visa for Indians that allows you to enter the country for tourism or business purposes.
It all depends on what you like to call it. Nonetheless, you'll need this Germany visa for Indians if you plan to visit Germany for tourism purposes.
However, you must understand that German National Visas are for the long term and not the same as Schengen Visa or Tourist Visa.
What Are The Types Of German Visas For Indians?
There are several types of Germany visas from India you can apply for as an Indian passport holder.
And some of the Germany National Visa for Indians are as follows:
- Au Pair Visa.
- Work Visa knowingly as Employment Visa (EU Blue Card)
- Skilled Workers - Academic Degree
- Work Visa knowingly as Employment Visa (Recognition of Foreign Professional Qualifications)
- Family Reunion / Spouse
- Family Reunion Visa for the parent of a German citizen or EU citizen Child
- Family Reunion Visa for a Child joining one or both parents in Germany
- Dependents are accompanying spouses or children
- Intended Marriage
- Guest Scientist/Research
- Job-Seeker Visa
- Specialty Cook
- Germany Student Visa For Indians
- German national visa - self-employment
- German national Germany Visa For Indians– self-employed freelancers (Section 21 (5) of the Residence Act.
- Voluntary Service Germany Visa For Indians.
How Long Can I Stay In Germany With A Schengen Visa?
The single-entry Schengen Visa allows you to visit Germany for a maximum of 90 days every 180 days.
To calculate your stay in Schengen, you can use the Schengen Visa Calculator. Please note that you are not allowed to take up residence or work on a Schengen visa.
Sometimes, you may only stay in Germany for the duration specified in your visa application form. Therefore, always check the validity period on your Germany Tourist visa For Indians visa sticker before traveling.
Remember: Overstaying your welcome in Germany can lead to heavy fines, jail time, and even a ban.
What Is The Germany Visa Processing Time In India?
The usual processing time for Schengen visas is between 15 to 30 days. Whereas in some cases, it could take longer to process; especially during peak seasons.
However, you can apply up to 6 months in advance. But, make sure that you have applied at least 15 days before your plans of traveling to Germany.
When Must I Apply For My Germany Visa From India?
At the latest, you can start your German visa for Indians application 15 days before your planned trip.
However, sometimes it can take up to 45 days to process, in case it is necessary to make a more detailed examination of your application.
Thus, the earliest you can apply is 3 months before your trip.
However, I recommend starting your application as soon as possible, so you have enough time should something unexpected happen such as a longer processing time for the Germany tourist visa for Indians.
How Much Is The Germany Visa Fees In Indian Rupees 2022?
So when you are applying for a Germany visa from India, you need to verify the current exchange rate for your German visa shortly before your appointment. For Indians, the visa fee will be in Euro and Indian Rupee.
You can expect to pay the following Germany visa fees in Indian rupees in 2022:
- For adults: INR 6,400 | EUR 80
- For children 6 - 12 years: INR 3,200 | EUR 40
- For children under 6 years: Free
You can pay the visa fees, in Demand Draft, Credit/Debit Card, or Cash, depending on the visa application center you apply at.
Lastly, remember that the Germany visa fees are non-refundable, regardless of the outcome. You can get the visa fees back if the visa gets rejected.
Where Can I Apply For A Germany Visa From India?
Earlier, it was possible to apply for a Germany Tourist Visa at the Embassy and Consulate General of Germany.
However, now the application process is now majorly handled only by VFS Germany visa application centers across the country.
You can book an appointment at the closest VFS center by registering online with VFS.
Additionally, here is a list of VFS Application Centers across India:
- New Delhi – For applicants staying in Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir, Punjab, Rajasthan, Sikkim, Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand as well as the Union Territories of Chandigarh, NCT of Delhi, Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep including Minicoy and Amini.
- Mumbai – For applicants staying in Maharashtra, Gujarat, Goa, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Daman, and Diu.
- Kolkata – For applicants staying in West Bengal, Bihar, Jharkhand, Orissa, Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, and Tripura.
- Bangalore – For applicants staying in Karnataka and Kerala.
- Chennai – For applicants staying in Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Telangana, and Pondicherry. Check whether you're eligible to apply for it.
Can I Travel To Other Schengen Countries With The Germany Schengen Visa?
You're allowed to travel to any Schengen state with a Germany visa for Indians. However, in your application, you must clearly state that you plan to travel to other countries.
You can visit the following Schengen Member States with your Germany Tourist Visa for Indians:
Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.
What Are Germany Visa Requirements For Indians?
Now that you have a general understanding of the Germany Schengen Visa, we can look at its requirements and application process.
What Are The Required Documents For The Germany Schengen Visa?
One of the first things you would need to do before you begin the application process is to ensure that you have all the necessary documents ready to be presented at the Germany visa application center.
Here are the documents you'll need to submit to the Embassy:
- A duly completed and signed Germany Visa Application form to be filled out online.
- A duly completed and signed Declaration on True and Complete Information
- A duly completed and signed Declaration on Health Insurance
- A duly completed and signed Additional Contact and Legal representative Information
- One passport photo of yourself.
- Schengen Travel Insurance/Medical Insurance that provides a minimum coverage of EUR 30,000 and is valid for the entire duration of travel. The insurance must cover the entire Schengen area and not just Germany.
- Proof of accommodation. This can be private accommodation, a rental agreement, hotel reservations, etc. Still, it has to cover the duration of the stay and all the Schengen countries you plan to visit other than Germany. If you have booked a packaged tour, attach a detailed travel itinerary. You can use Atlys’s free tool to generate a free hotel itinerary
- A return flight ticket that proves you plan to return to your home country. You can use Atlys’s free tool to generate a free flight itinerary
- Proof of financial funds.
- Proof of employment/studies on official letterhead, stamped and dated, containing contact information (address, email, telephone number) and the countersigning officer's name, position, and signature.
- A cover letter explaining the purpose of your trip, what you plan to do, and when you'll return home. Basically, it just proves the purpose of your trip.
- Your employment status.
The VFS Germany Visa Application Center provides a document checklist for Schengen Tourist Visa.
What Are The Passport Requirements For A Germany Visa For Indians?
Your Indian passport must the following requirements for a German visa:
- A valid passport or travel document with at least two blank pages.
- It must be valid for 3 months after your trip's end and issued no later than 10 years ago.
- You must get a new passport if it expires in the next 6 months
What Are The Visa Photo Requirements For A Germany Visa For Indians?
When submitting your visa application, make sure your visa photo meets the requirements:
- ONE passport-sized photograph must be submitted
- Not older than 6 months
- Must be 45 x 35mm in size
- High resolution and taken on a white background
- It must meet the requirements set out by Germany.
What Are The Document Required Depending On Employment Status?
For a German visa for Indians, you must provide the following documents depending on your employment status:
- If you are self-employed, you need to present a copy of your business license in India, company income tax returns for the past two years, and a copy of the company's bank statement for the past 3 months, signed and stamped by the bank manager.
- If you own a business in India, you need to present the certificate of registration of the company (Form B, rule 5(1) or Form ST3, rule 11)
- If you are a student, you must present a copy of the enrolment paper that serves as proof that the applicant has planned to study in that school/university and a copy of the No Objection Certificate from the respective school or university.
- If you are salaried, proof of employment/studies on official letterhead, stamped and dated, containing contact information (address, email, telephone number) as well as a name, position, and signature of the countersigning officer. In addition, the letter must state the name and position of the applicant, salary, years of employment/studies, and approval of absence/position after leave.
- If unemployed, unemployment certificate and proof of income, if any (married: employment certificate of spouse, a document of the spouse's income, and a marriage certificate).
What Are The Minimum Financial Requirements To Visit Germany?
You'll find that all Schengen Member States have their own minimum financial requirements when visiting. This requirement has been implemented to ensure that visitors have the financial means to support themselves during their stay.
For Germany, you must show a minimum balance of EUR 3000|INR 2,43,506 approx. over the last 6 months.
Remember, this is only the minimum amount. Your Germany tourist visa For Indians visa application will look much more compelling if you prove you have more finances. Anything within INR 8 to 10 lacs should solidify your application even further.
Lastly, you can use the following documents as proof of funds:
- A cover letter,
- A bank statement of the last 3 months, stamped and signed by your bank manager,
- A copy of the Income Tax Department Return + ITR V acknowledgment of the previous financial year,
- And a signed and stamped leave permission from your employer.
What Are The Germany Schengen Visa Requirements For Minors?
First, minors need to present the same documents as those mentioned in this post. Furthermore, they need to submit the following additional documents:
- An application form signed by both parents.
- A birth certificate.
- Family court order – in cases where only one parent has full custody of the child.
- Certified copies of ID/passport of both parents.
- A notarized parental authorization signed by both parents/legal guardians if your child will be traveling alone.
- If you have stepchildren - A letter from the mother or father that permits the children to travel with you.
Check this all-inclusive guide to learn the exact process of applying for a Schengen Visa for minors.
How To Apply For A Tourist Visa For Germany From India?
You now know the documents you must submit for a successful Schengen Visa application. Next, I'll walk you through the steps you need to take when you start your application.
Step 1 - Collect The Required Documents
Start collecting the required documents first.
It's the most time-consuming part of the process. However, doing this first will allow you to leave enough time for unexpected delays, such as collecting an incorrect document, finding accommodation, etc.
When gathering all your required documents, make a list of what you need to get. It's the easiest way to keep track of the documents you've collected.
Step 2 - Fill In Your Schengen Visa Application Form
Okay, so you've got all the required documents.
Now download and start filling in the Germany Visa application form.
Remember, all the information you provide must be correct and accurate.
The form is self-explanatory, but ensure you fill in all the details carefully. Once done, save and download the form.
Did you know:
Most visa applications get denied due to incorrect information on a visa application form. Here's a guide highlighting the mistakes you should avoid when applying for your Schengen Visa.
Quick tip: Keep your passport close when filling out your German visa application form. Always refer to your passport when entering your personal details.
Step 3 - Find Where You Need To Apply At
As I mentioned, not all countries have a local German representative. Therefore, before submitting your application, you should always check where you need to apply.
Step 4 - Schedule A German Visa Appointment
Next, you must schedule an appointment for your visa interview at the competent German Mission or application center.
Please ensure you arrive on time for your appointment and have your documents prepared. After you've determined where you need to apply, you must schedule a visa appointment.
Be mindful that you might not find an appointment time suitable to your needs. As a result, you may have to keep your schedule open for the next few weeks, or at least until you find an appointment.
This is another reason you should start your visa application procedure at the earliest to receive your German visa for Indians in time for your travel.
Step 5 - Attend Your German Visa Appointment
On the day of your appointment, visit the visa application center at the scheduled time. Arrive at least half an hour early in case of a rush at the center, and make sure you carry all the documents with you.
Once the officer checks your document, they might interview you for a short while, but there is nothing to be nervous about. Answer each question truthfully, and it should be okay.
Then, for Indian nationals, you can set appointments for Schengen Visas to submit your Schengen visa application at your nearest Visa Application Centre.
Quick tip: You can use your required documents to support your answers. For example, should they ask where you plan to stay in Germany, you can present your proof of accommodation.
Step 6 - Receive Feedback From The Embassy
After completing steps 1 - 5, you're basically done. The only thing left is to wait for your German visa to be processed.
As mentioned, this can take between 15 - 30 days or even longer in some cases.
After it's processed, you'll receive feedback from the visa application center via email, a call, SMS, or your preferred contact method. You can Track Your Application here.
If your German visa is approved, you can travel back to the visa application center to collect your passport.
Attached inside, you'll find your brand new Germany tourist visa.
How To Schedule A Germany Visa Appointment In India?
As mentioned earlier, scheduling a VFS Germany Appointment can be difficult due to the lack of appointments available.
And this might lead you to several questions regarding the VFS Germany Appointments, such as:
What Are The Steps To Get Your Germany VFS Appointment In India?
The first step to a Germany visa appointment is to fill out the visa application form.
Once you do that, you will have to head to the VFS website to make your VFS Germany appointment. Simply click on ‘Book Now’ to schedule your appointment.
The Germany VFS appointment page looks something like this:
Where Can I Make My Germany Visa Appointment?
You can schedule an appointment at VFS Global by telephone (022-67866013) or online.
For a personal interview, make an appointment at the federal republic of Germany Mission at your local jurisdiction:
- German Embassy New Delhi.
- VFS Global.
- German Consulate General Bangalore.
- German Consulate General Chennai.
- German Consulate General Kolkata.
- German Consulate General Mumbai VFS Global.
After attending your interview and submitting your documents, you'll be requested to submit your biometric information.
Can I Submit My Germany Visa Documents Via Courier?
If you cannot submit your visa application at the VFS center, you can also use the 'Visa At Your Door' service provided by VFS. You can visit the VFS webpage and select 'Book Now' to have your visa application collected.
Please note that it is mandatory to avail of courier services for the return of your passport.
Why Do I Need To Make A Germany VFS Appointment?
You must make your Germany visa appointment to have your biometric information, fingerprints, and a photo taken at a Visa Application Centre in India.
This is not required if you've been to the Schengen Area in the last 59 months.
What Is The Wait Time For A Germany VFS Appointment?
Depending on how busy the German Embassy is with visa applications, the time could be shorter or longer. The embassy advises that you apply for the visa at least 3 months before your travel date but no longer than 6 months.
The peak seasons for visa applications are from April to July. And during those months, you should apply earlier for your visas.
Why Is The VFS Germany Visa Appointment Wait Time So Long?
The Germany VFS appointment wait is long mostly due to the number of visa applications they are receiving.
The embassy also has a backlog of applications that they need to go through. They have also advised the visa application centers to only accept a specific number of applicants per year.
This means that once VFS has reached its quota for the year, they do not provide appointments and reject visa applications.
This is a major reason why Atlys has been struggling to assist travelers in making Schengen visa applications simpler and making appointments for Schengen visas.
Atlys supported the Schengen visa application which makes the visa application extremely simple and you could complete the entire application in less than 10 minutes.
However, because of the unavailability of visa appointments and VFS filling the visa quota sooner, Atlys has not been able to assist you with Schengen visa applications.
What Could Cause Delays For My VFS Germany Appointment?
Many times VFS appointments have either been canceled or moved due to unforeseeable technical difficulties.
Additionally, if you have provided information or documentation that is incomplete or incorrect, then it could lead to delays in your visa appointment.
Lastly, since, VFS Germany has a quota to fill, each year if they meet their quota earlier, it results in delays or cancellations of appointments.
Hence it is important that you apply for your visa well in advance, should a problem arise.
How Do I Know Of The Delay For My VFS Germany Appointment?
The VFS application center will contact you in case of a delay or should your appointment needs to be shifted to a different date.
Additionally, you can follow the VFS Germany webpage for any news on specific application centers in India.
What Documents Do I Need For My Germany VFS Appointment?
Once you are ready to go for your Germany VFS appointment, you must have the following documents with you:
- Letter of confirmation of your visa appointment
- Passport and its copies
- Proof of payment
- All the original documents and copies
- The file with all the required documents
What If I Have Problems With My VFS Germany Appointment?
If you have any questions or troubles with your VFS Germany appointment such as changing the date or cannot attend the appointment, you must contact them soon as possible.
If you completely miss your interview your visa application will be rejected.
How Do I Track Germany Visa Application In Indians?
Indian citizens that have applied for their Germany visa via VFS can track their application on the online tacking portal for VFS.
If you apply for your Schengen visa using Atlys, you will be able to track it via your phone, and the app also provides you an estimated time when you can expect your visa.
That Is All!
Now you know how to apply for your Germany visa from India! After reading through this guide, you can easily apply for your next Germany Tourist Visa.
Just ensure that you follow my exact steps, and you'll have your visa in no time. The final step is to make some unforgettable memories in Germany!