How exciting is this? I get to share my knowledge about work visas for Australia! If you are nervous about applying for a working visa, don't worry. After reading this article, all your fears and nervousness will crawl out of your head and disappear. You'll know every little thing there is to know about the documents you need and the application process (and some extra tips and tricks).
I'll go through everything I got nervous about when I applied, like':
What Is A Work Visa?
A work visa is a visa that allows you to work in a country. In this case, it would be Australia. This visa can be a temporary (short-term) visa or a permanent visa (3 months). After receiving the work visa, you are eligible to work in Australia for as long as your visa allows.
I'll discuss both temporary and permanent visas that you can apply for to work in Australia.
Quick tip: make sure you apply for the correct type of work visa. You can take a free assessment online to help you figure out which visa suits you best.
Temporary Work Visas For Australia
Short-term work visas are visas that only allow you to work in Australia for a short period.
Working Holiday Visa
A Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417) is the perfect option for young people worldwide. Working Holiday visa holders are able to work in Australia while funding your holiday. The Working Holiday visa has an age limit and is only available for people between the ages of 18 and 30. To apply for this visa you need a passport from an eligible country.
Working Holiday Visas for Australia are only valid for 12 months.
Quick note: There is a Work and holiday (subclass 462) visa that is the same as a Working Holiday visa. The only difference is the countries that are eligible for the visa.
Skilled Regional (Provisional) Visa
The new Skilled Regional (subclass 491) visa allows skilled eligible workers and their family to live, work and study in certain places in regional Australia for 5 years. Visa holders can apply for permanent residency after 3 years.
Temporary Skill Shortage Visa
The temporary skill shortage visa (subclass 482) is a temporary visa that is valid for either 1 or 4 years, depending on your nominated occupation and circumstances. This Australian work visa enables employers to address labor shortages by bringing in genuinely skilled migrants who cannot find an appropriately qualified Australian.
Eligibility Criteria For A TSS Visa
You may be eligible for this visa as an overseas worker if you
- Have been nominated for a position by an approved sponsor. That nomination also needs to be approved.
- Meet any required skills and qualifications requirements.
- Complete the assessment of the required skills.
- Meet English language requirements.
- Meet health and character requirements.
Before you can apply for a temporary skill shortage visa, your employer must lodge a nomination application for you. Your employer will only be able to do this if they applied to be a standard business sponsor or if they already are an approved sponsor.
Documents Required For The TSS Visa
Several documents are required to apply for the subclass 482 visa program. The following documents you'll need are:
- A valid passport and other identification documents the Department Of Home Affairs ask for (ID, Marriage certificate)
- Documents that prove your experience, qualifications, and skills. You can provide your resume, references from previous employers, and relevant awards and certificates.
- Skills assessment documents (if you were required to do so). You must attach these documents to your application, or they won't grant you your visa. Confirm this requirement with Australian immigration beforehand.
- Proof that you have health insurance during your stay in Australia.
- Evidence of good character. Submit form 80 and form 1221 along with police certificates.
- Documents for your partner. If your partner is applying for the same work visa, you must provide their identification documents and marriage licenses.
- Assistance documents. If someone is helping you with your work visa application, please submit form 956 or form 956a
- Payslip or any other proof that you paid the visa fee.
Application Process For A Temporary Shortage Skill Visa
The application process has very few steps, and it is easy. These steps are as follows:
- Your sponsor applies for sponsorship.
- Your sponsor got approved.
- Your sponsor nominates you for the work visa.
- Your sponsor pays the levy fund.
- You start to apply for your visa.
After your sponsor's nomination is approved, you can take the next step and start your application process. If you apply online, you have to prepare your documents and then apply through ImmiAccount.
If you submit a paper application, all your documents must be verified copies of the originals.
Costs For An Australian Temporary Skill Shortage Visa
The cost of a TSS visa for Australia is about AUD1,290, although it would be wise to check the amount before applying as the cost can change
Permanent Work Visas For Australia
A long-term Australia work visa is a visa that allows you to work for an extended period in Australia. Some of the visas include permanent residency.
Employer Nomination Scheme Visa
The Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186) visa is a permanent visa that allows Australian employers to sponsor highly skilled workers to live and work in Australia. It is essential that you have all the relevant qualifications and/or work experience to be able to fill that position.
Quick note: There are 3 different streams to this visa which I will discuss in depth later in the article**
Eligibility Criteria For A Employer Nomination Scheme Visa
The ENS visa has three general visa requirements for all applicants and particular requirements depending on which stream you apply.
These general requirements are:
- Have been nominated by an approved Australian employer.
- Younger than 50 years of age, unless you are exempt.
Unless exempt, meet the qualifications, skills, and English language requirements.
Documents Required For A Employer Nomination Scheme Visa
There are certain documents that you have to submit with your application. The documents you need for your subclass 186 visa are the following:
- Your valid passport and a copy of your ID ( any other documents the Department of Home affairs might require.
- Character documents.
- Proof that you meet the English language requirements.
- Skills assessment, if it's required.
- Proof of qualifications and work experience (resume, awards, and certificates).
- Proof of medical insurance during your stay in Australia.
- Partners' identification and your marriage license, only if they apply for the same visa.
Application Process For A ENS Visa
The application for the work visa is as follows:
- Approved nomination before you start the visa application.
- Get your transaction reference number (trn) when your sponsor's nomination application is approved.
- Apply for your visa online. All documents must be attached and scanned in color to be visible. Apply through ImmiAccount and pay the visa fee through the online payment section.
The processing times for the ENS visa is not known. It could take months for the DHA to make a decision or they can decide in a matter of days.
How Much Does The Employer Nomination Scheme Visa Cost?
The working visa will cost you AUD 4,045. Although these costs can change or additional fees, check how much it costs before applying.
The Employer Nomination Scheme Visa Has 3 Streams
Determine under which stream you should apply. Each stream has its own requirements, and you need to make sure that you meet all of them.
Temporary Residence Transition Stream
The Temporary Residence Transition stream allows applicants who have had a Temporary (Skill) visa subclass 457 with a nominating employer to apply for permanent residence.
There are a few requirements to get approved under this stream, the nominating employer must:
- Continue to operate actively.
- Continue to meet training requirements.
- Have complied with its obligations as an approved sponsor.
The nominated position must:
- Be in the same position as approved for the subclass 457 visa.
- Continue to be a genuine position.
- Continue to meet the market salary and conditions of employment.
The visa applicant must:
- Have had a subclass 457 visa to work in the nominated position.
- At least have vocational english.
- Meet relevant character and health requirements.
Direct Entry Stream
This second stream allows applicants who do not meet the Temporary Residence Transition stream requirements to be nominated for permanent residence in Australia.
To be approved under the Direct Entry stream the nominating employer must:
- Operating actively and lawfully in Australia.
- Meet the requirements of training.
The nominated position must be:
- An open position.
- A full-time position.
- For an occupation that is listed on the Consolidated Skilled Occupations List (CSOL)
- Provided with terms and conditions no less favorable than those afforded to Australian citizens.
The visa applicant must:
- Be under 50 years of age.
- Be competent in English.
- Have a minimum work experience of 3 years (must be relevant to the position)
- Meet the requirements of character and health.
Labor Agreement Stream
Labor Agreement Stream is for applicants who are nominated by an Australian employer who has entered into a Labor Agreement. Labor Agreements are accords between the Australian Government and Australian business owners that allow Australian employers to sponsor foreign workers when there is a shortage in the labor market.
New Zealand Visa
Citizens of New Zealand do have the option of working and living permanently in Australia without a permanent resident visa. Citizens are granted a temporary SCV visa which allows them to do so but it does not grant them the same the same rights as an Australia permanent citizen or resident.
Now you can go "throw a shrimp on the barbie" and relax. No more stressing out about applying for your Australian work visa. So grab your work permit and scuba gear and dive into the opportunities presented to you!